Home improvement expert Danny Lipford helps you figure out a way to get the perfect hole depth when drilling. Watch this video tutorial to see how to make an easy drill bit depth gauge.
An easy way to drill a hole to a set depth is to simply wrap a piece of making tape around the drill bit and stick the two ends together to form a "flag" on one side of the bit.
Stop drilling when the tape brushes away the shaving, indicating that the desired depth has been reached.
Since the tape will tend to wear out after a few holes, a more permanent solution is to drill a hole lengthwise through a piece of 1" x 1" stock and slide it over the drill bit to act as a stop.
Adjust the bit in the chuck so it protrudes the desired length from the end of the block, then hold the block firmly on the surface and push the drill through it into the wood until the bit bottoms out.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades