Longing for the coziness of a fire? Follow these tips for a safe and successful experience.
You Will Need
* A fireplace
* An axe
WARNING: Never use charcoal lighter, kerosene, or gasoline to start a fire in a fireplace.
Use an axe to split the softwood into foot-long, inch-wide strips for kindling. Crack the hardwood into large pieces. Place the wood by the fireplace.
Use only dry wood, and avoid wood from chestnut trees, which can throw embers.
Clean your fireplace thoroughly and remove all ashes.
Lay out the kindling in a cross pattern or pyramid on a spread of newspaper.
Reverse air flow in the chimney by rolling a newspaper cone and lighting it like a torch. Hold it in the chimney for a minute. This creates an upward draft.
Touch an ignited match to opposite ends of the paper. The kindling will be enveloped in fire within 10 minutes.
Maintain the fire at a slow, constant temperature once the kindling catches by placing the large pieces lengthwise or crossed above the kindling. Add more wood as needed.
Settle in and cozy up to the fire with a good book or that special somebody!
Fact: The tallest chimney in the world reaches a height of 1,410 feet.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades